Friday, March 6, 2009

How to fix delayed messages - Nextel & Boost (iDEN)

With the popularity of the Boost $50/Unlimited Everything plan, there's been a lot of  chatter regarding delayed text messages. In case you didn't know, Boost is owned by Sprint/Nextel, and this plan is being run on the Nextel side of the network, which operates on the iDEN network (Sprint side is CDMA). Well, if your phone has been provisioned(activated) for at least 72 hours, then there is one fix that may help you get that 'boost' you need for the delivery of your messages on time.

NOTE: If your account is under 72 hours old, then you will just have to be patient. Welcome to iDEN. Messaging works a bit funny on this side of the world, and we happen to like it that way, lol, so for 3 days you're just going to have to deal. During this initial provisioning period, you will also likely not have any headers in the messages you receive("who sent me this?!?"), nor will you likely know that they are arriving in the wrong part of your inbox (but that's another post entirely!).

So, if your account is over 72 hours old, and your messages seem to be slow or heavily delayed, here's one option you can try that usually helps. (Note that YMMV* and if you're fresh out of your 72 hours, you may require a manual refresh from Boost Mobile Care before everything's working as intended). Most people have to have this done every month or two, but for those that use messaging functions heavily, the fequency could be greater. Of course, most folks never know this is what's happening while they're on hold with the tech or care agent.

Use Urgent Page to clear pending messages from the SMS box.

  1. Dial the NPA-NXX-7243 for your phone number
    Basically, you'll replace the last 4 digits of your cell number with '7243', which is 'PAGE'. NOTE: due to the portability of wireless numbers, this is not always available for every number. the NPA-NXX dialed does not have to be the same one as the number being paged, they all go to the same central system.

  2. Enter the 10-Digit Number of the device to be paged

  3. Press '1' to c onfirm the number entered.

  4. Press '1' to leave the callback number (if desired), then '#' 

  5. Press '1' to send the message

  6. Press '2' to mark as 'Urgent', then press '1' for confirmation


If the cause of your delay is that another message is 'stuck' for whatever reason, then this will correct the issue, and your messages will be delivered without delay until the problem reoccurs. This helps about 75% of the boost 'delayed text' issues that I've seen, so use the comments to let me know if this helped!

*YMMV - 'your mileage may vary'

24 comments:

  1. I followed ur steps and it tells me my message could not b delivered i tried twice. My txt messages are badly delayed. I called cus serv. and the did some tst and told me they could not find any problems, so they refreshed my text messaging on there side it that made it worse, Now it used to b delayed 20 to 30 min now im getting them delayed from 10 to 2.5 hrs delayed, Help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, several folks with iDEN phones have mentioned today that they have not received anything at all when they're usually flooded with twitters and texts - I'm off on the weekends but shoot me a email with your # and I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is having a similar issue with her phone.

    She is a big texter, usually upwards of 20-30 messages (combined sent and received) daily and so far today she has got a grand total of 0.

    A couple of people have called her to ask specifically asked her why she isn't responding to their messages.

    I'll try this method when she gets home, hopefully it will clear up the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gave this a try, it didn't work.

    It rang a few times and then I got a recorded message saying "the number or code you have dialled is incorrect, please check the number or code and try again."

    The message was then repeated in Spanish and then the guy in English said "Message 7, Switch 613".

    Our text messages are still MIA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give 617-839-7243 a try, see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, that seemed to do the trick.

    I'll make a note of that number for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. insidesprint, you think you could help me out. ive been having laggy text messages since i activated my boost probably back in like october. shoot me an email if you can, brutalitykid@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brandon. I'm having the same issue. Did you get it resolved?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did this, and my phone turned off during the page, and rebooted by itself, then i had "ready" on my phone instead of saying boost. I tried dialing a number and it said "service restricted". I turned it off and back on , and said boost , but for only a minute or two, then, no service again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't work for me either. In fact, I'm frequently getting 'Message Could Not Be Sent!' error messages more often than not.

    I called Boost Customer Care to follow up on this and explained I am VERY familiar with the iDEN network, have powercycled my phone, Master Reset, etc... She hung up on me without saying a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey i've been trying to call a friend of mine but everytime I try to call a male voice always comes on and says "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect please hang up and try your call againe" then it repeats in spanish, then the guy says "Message 7, Switch 013".

    the Phone was just working the day before

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've gotten text delay and I think pretty much everyone has. I don't think the messages are stuck. The issue has been address (but not fixed or made any better) by sprint/nextel. I don't even get a text delay, I get no texts what so ever. Maybe for about 2 hours I get texts just fine and on time. But after that I get 1 - zilch. I've only had my phone for maybe 4 - 5 days and I'm already fed up with it. They shouldn't be enrolling new customers and advertising this service (or at least not the "unlimited text" part) if it doesn't even work 80% of the time. Here I thought I found a great thing, but I actually found a load of crap that ripped me off of over 100+$.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, true. I don't get any messages whatsoever either. I would be much happier if they were delayed at least, but I get absolutely nothing. This better be fixed soon or they are losing yet another customer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't know if this will help but I use a Boostberry and I had to do a battery pull every morning or I wouldn't receive any texts. So maybe try that. If that works, and you are using a Boost smartphone you can download the SoftReset app to make it easier. This fixed the 'not receiving anything' problem but the delay is driving me insane. As soon as I can afford a new phone/plan i'm out. This is ridiculous. It makes it pretty friggin' hard to date when girls think you are ignoring them. Thanks for the dry spell Booty, er, Boost mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so friggin frustrated.. I just bought a new boost phone on the cdma network to replace my iden clutch that had problems with text message delays. Everyone said iden was the problem and if I got a cdma phone I would be able to send and recieve texts in real time. I have sent texts to all of my contacts and no one has recieved them. My mom and I sent texts back and for hours today and she didn't get any of my texts and I did not get any of her texts. It has been at least 6 hours since the original text and still nothing... I try to call customer care but as soon as I get a live person, somehow I get disconnected. This has happened about 20 times today. I am exhausted from all of the work.. I give up for today

    ReplyDelete
  16. seriuosly i just dont get how to all dat number to fix my delayed messages kan you help i dont get it

    ReplyDelete
  17. If It Does This "Message 7, Switch ***". Then I Think The phone Is Off.. If That's Not Correct Please Let Me No.. Because I'm Also Curious About This..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too!!! The directions didn't make any sense at all to me! Maybe it's cause i'm a teenager but still! I need my texts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to do the battery pull too! I'm switching my plan as soon as I wake up tomorrow morning. Just tired of the Boost mobile delays.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Having trouble with both our phones, not receviing calls or can`t call out. We have had good luck for the first three months with Boost and now all of a sudden both lines are crappy. Just got the wife a blackberry phone and we have to keep taking the battery out evey other day just to power up. Now she is getting her text messages one month later, not just one or two but many. I think i`m going to go back to AT&T if this issue cant be fixed. Today is 12-26-10

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried the number you mentioned and I followed the steps but it keeps telling me 'the message has not yet been sent'. I have been reading about how Boost said they would fix this back in 2009, its almost 2011 now How can I fix this so my text messages are not laggy? This is work im missing out on and I NEED these messages. Or should I just go with a different network?

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is bull crap that a company can still be in business if the service we are paying for is not being what we are reciving, ive had boost for over a year and just kept thinking it was my crapy phone but i was looking into getting the android prevail but after seing many sites and reviews on blogs i thing thas not gona fix anything, probably will be going back to my old provider after this month..... f#@%* boost, almost broke up with my girl twice over this delayed txt n calls not coming in, am done

    ReplyDelete
  23. text messages got delayed for 1 hour. does this work for this?

    ReplyDelete