Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sprint Overage Relief Minutes

Tired of paying $.40/per minute or more for using more minutes that your plan allows per month? There’s a little known tip to help avoid paying the ridiculous price for overages. You have to be alert and plan ahead to get the savings, but it’s well worth it. For instance if you used 200 minutes over your plan in any given month, you would have to pay $80 in overage – with the tip below, those same 200 minutes only cost you $10 ! It does pay to plan ahead, or at least to know what day your bill cycle ends and how to check your MOU (minutes of use).

Here’s how it works! Sprint offers ‘Overage Relief Minutes’ to customers who have used more minutes than allotted in their plan. The purpose was originally intended to help customers in ‘one-time’ situations or to use as part of an offer to entice you to upgrade your plan starting with your next bill cycle while providing the overage for the current month at a discounted amount.

  • You MUST call in before your bill cycle ends. Overage Relief Minutes can only be added before your bill generates. Nor care or account services or anyone can change this. If you waited too late, you’ll just have to pay for your usage and mark your calendar next month for your cycle end date.

  • Overage Relief Minutes come in ‘buckets’. There are several available for consumer accounts, with one restriction: You may only ever purchase a 500 minute bucket 1 time during the entire life of your account. This is enforced by the system and cannot be overridden (though there is a trick, read on!).





























Buckets of MinutesCost
100 Overage Minutes$5
200 Overage Minutes$10
300 Overage Minutes$15
400 Overage Minutes$20
500 Overage Minutes$25

So, how do you get them? It’s simple. Just dial *2 and ask! Tell the agent that you’d like to purchase “Overage Relief Minutes” and if you can feel the blank stare on their face (hopefully most of those have been weeded out by now) insist they look in their knowledgebase for the information, or in a super nice way suggest to them that they ask their team lead or supervisor about it. While every agent is trained on these, most have forgotten the 5 minutes they spent on it during six weeks of training, and it’s not a common call driver, so some may not be familiar.

  • Overage Relief Minutes don’t roll over, no matter what expiration date is put on them, again this is systematically enforced. If you want them next month, you’ll have to call in again. They aren’t intended to be an easy way to get extra minutes, but rather for help for occasional overage.

  • The agent MUST backdate the SOC to the start of your current billing cycle, or you will only get a prorated portion of the minutes. If this happens, call in after your bill posts to get it corrected, and be clear about what happened and insist on proper credit to your account.

  • You can change your mind and purchase more minutes! If you call in on the 20th day of your bill cycle to add a bucket of 100 minutes, and realize on the 30th day that you really needed 400, you can always add more.

  • You can only purchase the bucket of 500 minutes one time, however you can ‘stack’ the other buckets all you want. Need 500 again? purchase a 300 and a 200. Need 600? stack a 400 and a 200.Officially there is no limit on the upper amount, however you’d be able to get 1,500 once and 1,000 any month thereafter, as the same code cannot be ‘stacked’ twice during the same month (assuming you get a rep willing to add that many – as most would probably have the good sense to require a plan change, and I can’t say I’d blame them on this, though there’s no official policy).

  • Lastly – in case you have a plan that doesn’t include it – Overage Relief Minutes DO NOT apply to roaming minute charges. These would be billed as normal.


If you find yourself using Overage Relief Minutes more than once or twice, then you probably should listen when the agent offers to tell you about a different plan that would save you money – because most likely they’re right, and you’re hanging on to that ancient plan for sentimental reasons – and if that’s the case, then you may actually want to consider our newer offerings that really do include everything. While there’s no formal policy on requiring a plan change commitment when using these minutes, do the math yourself and see what’s right for you, because in almost every case you will save money if you find yourself using these more than a couple of months in a row.

It’s really that simple – so know what day your billing cycle ends, and check your minutes of use each month (that’s 12 times a year – surely you can find the time!). You can find your MOU on sprint.com, by dialing *4 from your handset, and by speaking with someone at Care (*2).

Have you used Overage Relief Minutes before? Did you know they existed? Comment Away!

15 comments:

  1. Thank you, you are my hero! :)

    Now to go yell at the genius that cost me extra....

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Apple in talks with iPhone for 2010? Verizon announces strong Q1 earnings New Mexico plans for VZW Getting some relief from Sprint overages Sprint loses again vs. iPCS T-Mobile continues to charge for cancelled service, and refuses refund [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I love google...I just found out I went over by 173 minutes then pannicked and stumbled across this page...Thank God...I called sprint and got the 200 extra minutes for only $10...Whew...saved me at least $70... really needed that.I am a happy 5 year Sprint customer(now)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just called to get relief minutes but it was $25 for 300...

    ReplyDelete
  5. then those weren't overage relief minutes, maybe just bonus minutes that you purchased

    ReplyDelete
  6. then you were sold a bucket of standard minutes that are available, those were not overage relief minutes. Be sure they're not rebilling for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was such a relief to see that this was possible. however, I think I was too late. What I mean is...I knew that I was getting close to going over in my minutes at the end of last week. With the website having gone down at the end of last week, I didn't check it as religiously as I could have, I went over. I called yesterday to get the relief minutes, but it showed seperately. So, if I understand this correctly...I am still going to pay for my overage and the additional $10 (200 minute bucket). That is not what I wanted to do, I wanted this to extend my current minutes (currently 700) to 900 (with the relief) Did I misunderstand how this worked? Is there anything that I can do about it now? Thanks for a great site, when I stumbled across it yesterday, I was just drawn in by the wealth of information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On my current family plan I have this option included. If I go with a new all everthing plan they don't offer this option. Thanks for the heads up on adding it during the month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey, i heard about this some time ago. I strongly agree with your article. I heard the phones comes out on June 6th. I wrote an article on Cell Phones for children and i think your readers find it interesting since talks about safety. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have the SOC codes for these? Would be handy to "feed" to the asleep-at-the-wheel reps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little off topic, but I noticed Sprint raised the rates on their international voice minutes. In Germany, last year I paid $1.29/min, now it's $1.99/min. Any International discounts? Otherwise, I will just go the route of an unlocked GSM phone with a local SIM card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet! This has already saved me hundreds of dollars! I am in a 550 minute shared family plan with my wife. I would upgrade to a new plan, but I would loose my negotiated free data and free text and free pic mail.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! You just saved my life! Rather than paying $70, I'm only paying $10!!
    Great help, great information!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the information. Can I add the overage relief minutes via the sprint website? Can it be on an automated schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  15. [...] while you’re here, in case you’re new, check out some of my non-pre posts too, like: Overage Relief Minutes, where you can get 100 minutes for $5 (sure beats .40 cents a minute for overage, right?) oh [...]

    ReplyDelete