Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Google Voice & Sprint... 11/08/09

image

 

At yesterday’s keynote address at the 2009 Open Developer Conference, Steve Elfman gave us some great news and details about how we will allow Sprint users to integrate Google Voice into their Sprint service…. actually the more official wording went more like:

“Sprint is proud to promote access to the new voicemail feature in Google Voice™ to deliver an even richer experience to customers.”

 

Here’s the goodies…

  • Google Voice™ - starting 11/8/09, all Sprint price plans will include free conditional (no answer/busy) call forwarding (*73,*74,*28).
    • No action is required on your part, it’s all automatic. Unconditional (immediate) call forwarding (*72) will remain $0.20/minute.
  • Simply Everything customers will also begin receiving unconditional call forwarding (immediate) included in their plan beginning late November. More info on this closer to time!

13 comments:

  1. What do the different codes stand for? *73, *74, *28? I set this up already and Google Voice had me use the *28 code. I am willing to pay the 20 cents a minute for a week or so, must of my calls already go through Google Voice anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will these conditional call forwarded minutes be subtracted from our anytime minutes or will they be separated from our minutes as they had been when there was a $.20 per minute charge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One is for CFB, the other for CFNA. *28 does both CFB and CFNA in one shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google Voice Lite Question:
    Since I am currently abroad, my account is on the Seasonal Standby Plan.
    Since Sprint now disables voicemail while on standby, I would like to use Google Voice Lite (using my existing Sprint Mobile number) so that my line does not appear disconnected while I'm traveling.
    Even though I've received an invite for Google Voice, I cannot access the website to complete the signup because I am not in the US.

    Does anyone know if Google Voice (using existing number) will work while my account is on standby? Or do I require a basic voice plan with Call Forwarding so that unanswered calls can be forwarded to the Google Voice service?

    Thanks,
    DK

    ReplyDelete
  5. DK,

    I asked Sprint about this, here's their response:

    "My understanding is that the acct would need to be active for the call forwarding to work. CF won't work while the svc is suspended"

    http://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/5396424139

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com…sprint-110809/ for more information on Google Voicemail, check http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10384414-1.html [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a blackberry curve through sprint and downloaded Google Voice about two months ago. I used t be able to make outbound calls using GV but now can only get inbound and voicemail is the a compatability issue with Sprint and GV or maybe just a GV issue?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is Sprint on this? Haven't heard a peep about this and we've passed November now....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Google Voice Service Takes Aim At Telephone Companies: It converts voicemails to text, and even better…nice article

    ReplyDelete
  10. Google Voice Service Takes Aim At Telephone Companies: It converts voice mails to text, and even better…nice article

    ReplyDelete
  11. When can Boost Mobile expect to include free conditional (no answer/busy) call forwarding (*73,*74,*28)???????

    ReplyDelete