Wednesday, May 23, 2012

@CustomsBorder Twitter blows up 9,900% - Makes News!

Apparently some government worker was overheard saying "OMG they're talking to us on twitter - what do we do!"

Thanks to a tip from a fan, OhMyGov is reporting...
Last week the US Customs and Border Protection, a branch of theDepartment of Homeland Security, created some online controversy by locking down all HTC EVO 4G LTE and HTC One X mobile devices as the agency investigates if the devices are still breaking Apple patents.

The US Customs investigation dates back to an order by the US International Trade Commission (ITC) last December that found HTC guilty of violatingApple patent 5946647 - a patent related to detecting data items within otherwise unformatted content. However, it appears that the patent wars have just started.

In the past few days tech savvy Twitter users have been airing out their frustration with Customs and Border Protection, creating much buzz around the otherwise unnoticed agency. Campaigns were started on Twitter using the hashtags #FreemyEVO and #CBPevo, encouraging agency to release the phones.

Mentions to the US Customs Twitter handle, @CustomsBorder, were up 9,900% yesterday over Thursday because of the lock down, skyrocketing from 26 mentions to 2,600. Unfortunately for @CustomsBorder, most of the mentions express frustration with the agency versus praise.

So, YES, we were noticed.. just in case you wondered :)

 

20 comments:

  1. Thats funny, good to know that every once in a while consumers can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I knew someone was keeping track. I track Social Media for @HiltonHotels ....we are a lot better about responding to people though =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a social media job :)... but it's apparently it's not going to happen @ Sprint. So that may be my next move into something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome to be part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just got my tracking # email from Sprint! Arrive tomorrow. Sweeet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kind of interesting the stir this has created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the social media revolution! Got my confirmation email! Should arrive by late Thursday I hope I don't miss my delivery . It's not easy to have a steady income in the social media world but if u can fund the right niche it can be highly fruitful

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are messing with us??!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got Shipping Email!! >:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband got ONE tracking # email but we order two phones. I hope BOTH phones will arrive tomorrow or there will be a fight on who gets it first! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got some movement from Bestbuy. Status changed form back order to Order Status: 1 item(s) - Order in process of being fulfilled; Usually ships in 1 - 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got my tracking number as well. States that it should be delivered by end of day on 05/24/2012. Sadly, I forgot to change the delivery address to my work, so now an attempt will be made at my house and then I'll have to go pick it up at the UPS warehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thnx for sharing! my tweet was quoted (twouted?)

    why is it not going to happen at Sprint? I sent you an email on Friday about social; customer service and social should go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought they had @Sprintcares??? That's how I got them to give me my upgrade early :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @gilmoreant if social is not integrated across a company, you can have serious holes/gaps in serving your customers. so even though there is a presence (@Sprintcares), doesn't mean Sprint is fully social enabled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For which location, I am afraid I might get it late since the store I am with think like only two people ordered including me?:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've no doubt the intrepid Constituent Service Team at the Department of Homeland Security are going to get right on this. Expect a little extra "thanks" next time you're patted down at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  18. north carolina insurance...

    @CustomsBorder Twitter blows up 9,900% - Makes News! « Inside Sprint Now...

    ReplyDelete