Friday, May 25, 2012

SVD - Simultaneous Voice & Data on LTE Phones

This is nothing new to most early-adopters of the HTC EVO 4G LTE, however there are some details released below that may be of interest - such as it's obviously not guaranteed, and it does require certain conditions to work properly.

  • Sprint 4G LTE phones can acheive Simultaneous Voice and Data (SVD) when connected to a WiFi router.

  • They may also achieve SVD when connected to Sprint’s LTE or CDMA networks.



  • Sprint 4G LTE phone customers may not see a consistent SVD experience on Sprint’s networks based on numerous conditions.

  • SVD should not be guaranteed to our external customers.

  • SVDO is possible on Sprint’s LTE phones/handsets, without assistance of LTE or WiFi, utilizing 1x and DO.

  • Works only in optimal network conditions.

  • Experience not consistent with SVDO; in weaker coverage, voice will take sole priority.



  • SVD can be achieved with either LTE or WiFi coverage.

  • CDMA + LTE, or CDMA + WiFi should be the primary combinations to achieve simultaneous voice and data, as with previous phones/handsets.

  • If utilizing SVDO, the experience will vary, however, if in optimal conditions data speed will be consistent with EvDO speeds.

14 comments:

  1. I have awful coverage at my house and have an airave and I disconnected it yesterday when I got my Evo LTE to do some testing and I was making calls and using the internet on it over 3g without issue and I had like maybe 2 bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this as it being pretty much the same as before (except for when LTE rolls out), but I feel like that's not what it's trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under perfect network conditions, you can talk and use 3G at the same time, which you couldn't before. It didn't work initially for me but seems to now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with the "perfect network conditions" as I said in my first comment I have abysmal Sprint service at my home and I was still able to be on a call and using 3G, and of course my Airave was disconnected at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That somewhat makes up for the lack of regular 4G :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think it's disappointing that Sprint has so little faith in this feature and is doing everything they can to avoid telling people about it. Simultaneous Voice and Data works great here with marginal EVDO signal, no LTE no wifi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also live in an area where the reception is not the best, but was able to do SVDO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any more information about the HTC Evo 4g lte i have been reading all your blogs and i appreciate the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. one word: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sorry for yelling ( ._.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have "average" signal level where I live and just tested this out. Works great so far! It's like Santa said, You've been a great boy this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have used the LTE over my WiFi and have no issue's with SVD. The speed of the LTE is remarkable and have no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just tried out SVDO here; works on the LG Viper, but doesn't on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (3G is turned off as soon as the phone call connects). Anyone know why? The Nexus should be able to do it, as it's an LTE phone. On the Viper, however, it works fine even without WiFi or LTE. All we have here is a tower not even a quarter mile away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this today on my EVO LTE 4G on CDMA in downtown Chicago and was very surprised; I had no idea the phone would do this on the EVDO network.

    ReplyDelete