Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Reminder: New TEP Tiers & Deductibles in June

We posted about this before (TEP Changes in June) - but wanted to remind everyone, and add a couple of details, like the fact that even if the MSRP changes, the deductible will remain the same as the initial launch. Also, anyone that buys a Tier 3 or 4 device before 6/17 will  see a $3 credit in their monthly bill from July through September (to offset the legal notice that is required for changing the price). At the new prices, is TEP worth it? Let's hear your thoughts in the comments or via twitter #TEPsprint

  • Beginning 6/17/12, new Tiered TEP, ERP and Deductibles will be introduced based upon Device Standard Retail Price (SRP) at time of launch.

  • A new $11 TEP Tier will be introduced to support high-end device models and the $8 TEP Tier remains in place for existing device models.

  • A new $9 ERP Tier will be introduced to support high-end device models and the $5 ERP Tier remains in place for existing device models

  • ESRP Fees will remain the same

  • Apple iPhones are NOT eligible for TEP.
















































.ERP Deductible
Effective 6/17/12
Device SRP at Time of LaunchTEP Monthly Fee
Effective 6/17/12
ERP Monthly Fee Effective 6/17/12ESRP Monthly Fee Effective 6/17/12
Tier 1$50= $324.99$8$5$4
Tier 2$100$325 - $549.98$8$5$4
Tier 3$150$549.99 - $599.99$11$9$4
Tier 4$200= $600+$11$9$4
Whenever a device launches, it launches in a specific tier and remains in that tier, even if the SRP changes.


  • Customers purchasing a Tier 1 or Tier 2 device models with TEP remain at the $8 Tier and device models with ERP remain at the $5 Tier.

  • Customers purchasing a Tier 3 or Tier 4 new device model and add TEP or ERP before 6/17, will:

    • Be at the $8 Tier and then move to the $11 Tier for TEP

    • Be at the $5 Tier and then move to the $8 Tier for ERP

    • Receive multiple written notifications explaining the increase in their monthly TEP charges, ERP charges and deductibles

    • Including a postcard for TEP and ERP customers

    • Be sent a legal notification in the form of a letter by mail after 6/17 notifying them that their TEP monthly charge will be increased from $8 to $11 and ERP monthly charge will be increased from $5 to $9

    • TEP customers will see a $3 credit in their monthly bill from July through September, which will meet Sprint’s legal requirement to notify customers 90 days in advance of a price increase.

    • ERP customers will see a $4 credit in their monthly bill from July through September, which will meet Sprint’s legal requirement to notify customers 90 days in advance of a price increase.



29 comments:

  1. The bleeding just WON'T STOP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I get it...so say I purchase an EVO LTE 4G, and a year and half goes by and I need it replaced (stolen), will there still be a deductible that is the same that it started at launch or is it prorated over time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can all thank the dumbass iPhone for all the freaking price increases, can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nevermind...just need to learn to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so wait my deductible will be 150 for my evo4glte?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Folks, get smart. Check with your home owners or renters insurance provider. Most of them will cover your smart phone under an all hazards inland marine rider. Mine costs 50 bucks a year and caries a $100.00 deductible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does this mean that raising customers will have a window to cancel their contract without penalties/etf?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many people have this available but no idea that it is covered

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you neo omg he responded to a question of mine* runs to go show this to his nerd herd*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had the Black Tie insurance from Best Buy since the OR Evo and have actually had both my Evo and Evo 3D replaced at Best Buy with no deductible. It's only $9.99 and is great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm for my wife and I that would add up to $22 x 24 months = $528 plus possibly paying a deductible. Doesn't sound worth it anymore to me. I'm guessing this comes with a manufacturer warranty, and if you paid with an American Express that would add an additional year of coverage. I will have to also check with my home owners insurance to see if they can be added as well. Either way the insurance is a rip off. I paid less for my $2000 tv to be covered for 5 years and no deductible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I knew it was going up to $11 but I assumed it'd be like a $7/5 split for ERP/ESRP, not $9/4. I'm only really interested in the ERP for theft/total loss situations, but that by itself will still be more than the old TEP in total.

    Maybe I should reconsider Wirefly's insurance, I forget the details but it was like $7, possibly with no deductible. With a $9 ERP I'm basically paying over a $100 a year in insurance. I wish the deductible were higher and the monthly cost slightly lower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meh, WF's insurance requires a police report in case of theft (and assurance the phone wasn't just left unattended), most other 3rd party insurance plans have similar gotchas in the fine print.

    Guess I'll just live with Sprint's/Asurion's price hike. It's pretty borderline, since if I needed to use it after a year of ownership I'd have paid $250+ between monthly+deductible; I'm sure the phone would't be worth much more than that if bought used on Ebay at that point...

    At the same time if the accident happens closer to 6 months of ownership then the cost stings less.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any 3rd party insurance that covers theft, liquid damage, etc for less money?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I willow be dropping Sprint equipment protection and adding Best Buy equipment protection since Best Buy uses new phones instead of remanufactured ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, You can thank the people who expect a mass-produced phone to have the craftsmanship of an Imperial Faberge egg.You know, the people who return perfectly good phones multiple times because of really petty issues. Issues like 'the phone has light leakage around the edges' or 'a speck of dust under the screen'. Oh and and you can also blame the people who use the insurance program as a low cost upgrade program. You can blame all those people. In any case..it's too much money now and not really worth it. I will have to find another alternative. Thanks to the person who suggested home owners/rental insurance. Personal article insurance will probably work too. It's pretty cheap. I paid 45 bucks a year to cover my 2100 laptop. I'll lose out on the cool 'get a replacement in two days' perk but I'll have to deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you use Home / rental insurance then the premium will increase after a claim.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @beastman59 good point!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Does that cover theft too? The salesman for the preorder said he would explain it when I get the new EVO LTE.

    Really with all the excellent promotions and the cheaper insurance, I wonder how long Sprint will continue to sell phones and insurance. People are better off at Best Buy or other options.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Black Tie does not cover theft/loss.

    http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Manufacturer-Warranties-and/Does-warranty-cover-lost-cellphone/td-p/226288

    ReplyDelete
  21. No..black tie does not cover theft/loss. I want to provide a link to the info but the reply I made is in a moderation queue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two ways of looking at this ..


    For my self I have two lines. I rather cancel the insurance and save the money .. take my chances that I will only loose/break my phone once during two years. I will have save money to just buy one of FM or EBay for cheaper with all the money I save+ 200 deductable. 2. Just prepaid for the best buy insurance of 169 for the entire two years

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still have the original Evo in perfect condition as a backup. I might keep the insurance for the first year then drop the second year. Not sure yet. May check my home owners policy as well. Actully we do have two backup phones. Maybe it's time to cut and run.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I elected to forego insurance two years ago when buying my OG Evo. My daughter did the same. Both phones are still in pristine condition. Together we saved a boatload of money and I now am passing down that phone to my son (with an Otterbox Defender LOL) later today when I get my new EVO LTE, which I also will not pay the insurance for. 12 months at $11 bucks a month is a good amount of money and add to that the deductible to get a new phone, doesn't seem worth it to me. I am just careful and should something happen, I will just deal with it. I have had phones since 2000 and never once have had an issue with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you just knock on wood. Could have swore I heard it all the way over here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am out. I will use my evo 3d as insurance instead of selling it. It may be less to rely on oem warranty then buy out to upgrade

    ReplyDelete
  27. gettting_insurance_elsewhereMay 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

    Sprint, next time you want ways to help ur customers, don't take the advice from the guys who count the money. They are never looking for a compromise that they and customers think are fair. Better yet send surveys to those you have kept for years; there is a reason they stuck with you and can provide great insight.

    Now nickel and diming your customers to death is not the way to go to create revenue because as you can see they just won't get you high priced services. Maybe you should seek some contract with square trade for phone warranties or something. I will drop your high priced insurance and look at square trade for warranty. Reasonable 2 yr warranties. There's also another company called ensquared.com that does phone warranties. So sprint you are helping other companies by sending people their way for insurance rather than just keeping a happy customer base.

    ReplyDelete
  28. [...] the monthly payment goes up from 8 to 11 dollars and the deductible is going up also Check out this link over at the insider [...]

    ReplyDelete